Friday, June 24, 2011

I finally got a book on raising chickens. Figured since our chickens are halfway to laying some eggs for us, we should get a good book to see if we did it right. Its a pretty good read....OK, it's mostly pictures and stays by the toilet seat for a spare moment. Seems like we are on the right track so far though. We started out with 3 Cornish hens and 12 layers. We ended up with 11 layers and 1 Cockerel (which I learned from a one of the captions on the picture is what a teenage rooster is called, after that he is officially a Cock. Just quoting what the book says people.)



We are interested in homesteading for a couple of reasons. Cost, first and most important. Saving $50 on eggs a month is a big deal for me (plus, my 2 year old has had hours of entertainment chasing the chickens...hopefully they will not hold it against us and still lay eggs.) But the other reason is for health. I started with a pretty innocent question a couple of months ago (what is hydrogenated oil?)  and it's turned into a full on research project into where  our food comes from. Watching a documentary called Food Inc (youtube has the full version if anyone is curious.) I have discovered some pretty amazing things...and some unbelievable conspiracy theories (which, ask my husband, I have not formerly been one to believe such theories...I like the Mayberry world I live in.)

Chris put on his farmer hat and butchered the 3 hens...we were 2 weeks late on butchering them. It resulted in meat that was a bit more chewy than I like, but it's still edible. Of course, our first taste of homegrown chicken would only be proper as fried chicken for Father's Day. =)  Served 'em up with mashed potatoes and steamed organic broccoli. I called Libby for dinner,
"Libby, come get some chicken. Dinner's  ready." she walks to the door to go outside to the barn...so confused...lol
Chris decided that it would be worth the $3.50 a guy in Greshem charges to butcher the hens next time. I joke that we are great at gardening stuff...but farmer Jane and John don't like killing things, just eating them...lol


1 comment:

  1. I think that ou would really enjoy this book by Michael Pollen (as well as a few others, I'm sure) http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Food-Eaters-Manifesto/dp/1594201455

    I haven't read all of his books, but this one was a favorite of mine:
    http://www.amazon.com/Omnivores-Dilemma-Natural-History-Meals/dp/0143038583/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

    I mention this mostly because Michael Pollan is part of that documentary you mentioned, as well as the farmer from Polyface Farms on the east coast. Very interesting read.

    ReplyDelete